CE-20 cryogenic engine - IAS Academy in Coimbatore
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted the flight acceptance hot test of the CE-20 cryogenic engine
CE-20 cryogenic engine and Chandrayaan-3 Mission
- The CE-20 cryogenic engine will power the Cryogenic Upper Stage of the Launch Vehicle Mark 3 (LMV3) for the Chandrayaan-3 mission.
- The high-thrust cryogenic engine is the most powerful upper-stage cryogenic engine in service at present.
- The CE-20 is the first Indian cryogenic engine to feature a gas-generator cycle.
- The cryogenic upper stage of the LVM3 vehicle (C25 stage) is powered by a CE-20 engine working with the LOX-LH2 propellants combination i.e. cryogenic engine that makes use of Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) as propellants
- CE-20 cryogenic engine develops a nominal thrust of 186.36 kN in vacuum.
- Chandrayaan-3 is India’s interplanetary mission and third moon mission.
- Chandrayaan-3 is a follow-on mission to Chandrayaan-2 to demonstrate the capability of safe landing and roving over the lunar surface.
- The Chandrayaan-3 mission has three major modules namely the propulsion, lander and rover modules.
- The Launch Vehicle Mark 3 (LMV3) is the launch vehicle for the mission.